Monday 25 October 2010

1.39 - Preparations

That evening Nillian opens one of the books and begins to read. The introduction is simple, it tells that the contents of the book will teach anyone how to get directions from the stars, with the help of some professional tools. He then goes to chapter 1, which starts with explaining the different tools of the trade. But it turns out to be very technical, and Nillian struggles with the different names and functions. Depressed he skips ahead, to see if the rest of the book is any better.

In chapter 5 star charts are introduced, and Nillian reads about the different stars and constellations. But he soon realises that in order to be able to work with these charts he first has to know all the stars and constellations by hearth. But that could take months!

When the door opens Nillian looks up, glad for the interruption.
"Evening Lyxia."
"Evening Nill. What are you doing? Hmm, looking at star charts, star maps? Trying to ...", she looks at the chart, "find the relation between the SteamCloud and the Snake?"

"Yes ... wait a second. You know this stuff?"
"Sure, we learned about it in the monastery. It is very interesting, fascinating. You can always tell any direction by the stars. During the day you have to use the sun, of course, but at night you can get all the data, the information from the stars."
"Wow. Alright, that means that you are the navigator."
He slams the book closed, and puts it on the pile.

"Now all I need is an engineer and a ... well someone who can protect us. Someone familiar with the wilderness, who knows how to survive."
"Looks like you are looking for a ranger."
"Yes... Indeed. I went by a ranger once, when I was looking for Dr. Biene, here in Kataras. Ned his name was. But he was quite unfriendly, threw me out of his workplace."
"Workplace? You mean the forest, woods?"
"Oh, no, he was a gunsmith by profession, but also a guide. At least that was what was written on his wall. Let me see ... Forest Cicerone, that was what he called it."

"That sounds ... wait ... you have a letter from a Ned, Gunsmith and Forest Cicerone. It is lying downstairs, for quite some time I might add."
"A letter?"
"Yes, it is lying in the cupboard, the cabinet, downstairs. It has been lying there for over a week, so it is probably buried under some other things, but I am sure it's there. A name, title like that is something I do not forget easily."

Nillian rushes downstairs and finds the letter beneath some old newspapers. He tears open the envelope, and reads the letter while he makes his way upstairs.
"What does it say?" Lyxia remarks when he enters his room.
"Huh, it seems he gives an apology for his rude behaviour. He says he overreacted, that he is very sorry, and offers to help if I need something. Well, that's interesting ..."
"You'd better pay him a visit then."

***

The following morning Nillian immediately makes his way to Ned's workshop. This time he did plan his route, and he manages to find the workshop in one go. The workshop is open and Nillian walks inside, where he sees Ned sitting with his back to him. He clears his throat to get Ned's attention.
"Good morning sir. I received your letter ..."
"Ah, good mornin' laddie. I am very sorry aboot all that ..."
"No reason to worry, that is all past."

"Ah thank ye. Sae what can I help ye with today?"
"Well, I would like to hire your services. But because this is ... something special, please to not feel obliged to accept it if you are not entirely sure. You see, I am leading an expedition to follow in Dr. Biene's footsteps. I assume you heard the news about his laboratory and what was found there?"
Ned nods.
"The University is building another ship, and I am going to try and follow the route Dr. Biene took. This will probably take us far away, further then Apaga for certain. For this expedition I am searching for someone who knows the wilderness, and who can defend himself. So I immediately thought of you."

"That is quite a story, laddie. I am afraid that I will hiv to think aboot it, as it is a big step..."
"Of course, of course. I wouldn't have it any other way."

"I would like to come with you" a voice says from the other side of the workplace. There Copper was sitting quietly, until now. He walks over to Nillian and looks at him pleadingly.
"Dr. Biene has always been my role model, and ever since ... the accident even more. He was the one who originally devised the operation, and because of him I am still alive today. Please, let me come with you."

Nillian is silent for a few seconds, considering. Then he nods, once, and smiles.
"Welcome aboard, mr. Copper."

Copper smiles, and shakes Nillian's hand, thanking him profusely. Then he gets a grip, and returns to the other side of the workplace. As he walks away Ned frowns, and you can see that he is very busy thinking. After a few seconds he seems to have reached a decision, and he turns back to Nillian.

"If Copper is gaein, there is not much pynt of me staying behind. No sense of gitting him lost if I can help it. Alright mr. Luckett, I accept yer offer."
Nillian smiles and also welcomes Ned. But then he remembers something and his face clouds over. He still needs an engineer to maintain the ship. He himself has some background into steam engines, but only theoretical, and not practical.

But then suddenly a though strikes him, and he remembers something that Copper told him.
"Mr. Copper? Last time we spoke you said that you maintained the engine here in the workplace. Does that mean you have an engineers degree?"
Copper looks up and nods.
"Yes I have. I was a member of the University for about ... seven years or so? I worked in Räan as an assistant to some professors, and then for two years for myself in maintenance and development."
"Splendid! Then you are promoted to engineer, and that means that the crew is complete! Now I can start with the real preparations."

No comments: