Wednesday 13 October 2010

Interlude: Letter from Dr. Biene

Dear Sir or Madame,

Congratulations on finding my secret laboratory! I have a feeling that it will not have been an easy feat. But the fact that you are reading this shows that it was possible, and that the trail that we have left was sufficient.

By now I would think you are a bit aware of my situation, but probably very confused as to my reasons and intentions. With this letter I would like to explain, to teach and hopefully inspire. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, let us start at the beginning.

Several years ago I had some disagreement with the University, the specifics do not matter. What mattered was that they were trying to lead my research to 'safe' area's. They were afraid that I would invent too much, and that Kataria would change. But Kataria has already changed, and they never even noticed it...

After the disagreement I realised that I too was responsible, always intent on my work and never on the world around me. So I left, leaving the university behind. It was supposed to be a shock, with people asking where I was and generally causing a stir. But it did not turn out as I had planned.
On the day after my departure there was a great explosion, recently renamed to the "Great Bang", which caused far more chaos then my departure would have. But when people in the aftermath noticed my disappearance they blamed it on the explosion. Maybe the University even started that rumour, just to discredit me. In any case, I was declared dead, together with some of my compatriots.

In retrospect that might have sparked my ... life's work more than just a holiday might have done. Now I couldn't easily go back, reclaim my place and continue where I left off. I was forced into this role as mysterious figure, hiding in the shadows, working on my project.

But I digress. After I left Kataras I travelled Kataria, seeing the world, exploring new places and experiencing new things. And I found what people have lost, curiosity about new things. People stay at home, living the same day over and over again. They do not want to change, do not want the world to change. What I did with steam engines was new, and therefore frightening. After my first design things were only improved, never redesigned or began anew.

So while on my journey I began to think, and to plan and eventually to dream. Because I could travel the whole of Kataria, and still nothing would change. I would have to go beyond Kataria, to a world where no one has ever been before. Oh, I know that people have travelled to Apaga, and that there is colony there. But do we ever visit? Do we expand, spread out? No. We sent the people who want something different to another place, where we leave them to rot. While we can feel safe here on our island.


So when I settled down, here in Capes, I began designing a ship, powered by steam, which would be able to take us over the seas. It took two long years, working hard, but we succeeded. And now, on the eve of out departure, I am writing you this letter. Hoping that it will be found, by you. Hoping that it will inspire you, get you thinking about the things that are really important.

As I mentioned we are leaving today, probably after I have finished writing this letter. And my request of you is: Follow us! Come after us, discovering the world as we did, learning things about yourself you would never have thought. We will be leaving behind all our blueprints, prototypes and enough materials to build another boat. I am not sure how many time has passed between when we left and when you are reading this, but I am confident that things will survive, will still be in good condition.

I hope you will follow us, and if not that you at least tell others what happened to us, what we did. Because it is important. But now we are off, to Apaga, and then to the rest of the world!


Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Frank Biene

&nsbsp;

No comments: