Wednesday 1 September 2010

1.18 - In the Hospital 2

After lunch a new nurse hesitantly knocks on Nillian's door. When he calls her in she hesitantly walks over to his bed.
"Sir, there are two watchmen to see you. I spoke with the doctor, and he said that if you felt up to it he would allow it. Shall I invite them in, or is it too soon?"

Nillian considers for a moment, then nods. He is not entirely certain that he feels up to it, but he rather have this conversation over and done with. Several moments later the two officers walk into his room. When they see that there are no chairs the younger of the two walks out again, getting some. The other officer in the mean time introduces himself.

"Good afternoon sir, I am Sergeant Smith, and my colleague is Constable Lewis, from the Watch. We are here to ask you some questions about what happened last night, and to inform you of what has happened since."
Nillian nods, and sits up a bit straighter, so he is more comfortable while talking. The constable returns, and they sit down. The constable takes out a notebook, and begins to take notes, while the sergeant asks the questions.

"Could you, for the record, list your name, date of birth, place of birth and current address?"
"Sure. Nillian Luckett, born September third, 805. I was born in St. Helena's Hospital in Kataras, and am currently living on Dee Street 112, also in Kataras."
"Hmm, you are far from home then. What was your business here in Stokes?"
"I am currently writing a book, and came here to do some research for that."

"What kind of book are you writing, if I may ask?"
"It is an ... autobiography of sorts. It is about Dr. Biene, one of the founders of the University, to which I am affiliated. It seems that one of his assistants arrived here shortly after his disappearance, and I am trying to find out what she was doing here and if it was in any way connected with his disappearance."
"Ah, right. That would then be the University of Scientific Studies and Research, I assume?"
"Yes, indeed, sorry for the confusion."

It is silent for a moment as the constable catches up with his writing. When he looks up the sergeant nods, and continues with the questions.
"Well, now let's go to last evening. Could you please describe what exactly happened?"

"Alright. I had dinner at a restaurant in the city centre, called ... Manor Arms, or something like that. It was quite late when I left, it was past midnight I think. I was on my way back to the inn, the White Shade of Coal. As it was late I wanted to arrive there as fast as I could, so I took a short-cut through the alleyway. It was very dark there, so I had to slow down a bit. Then I heard footsteps, and a man approached me from the front. He said something about ... giving my money to him, that it was a robbery. I tried to walk away, but he wouldn't let me. Then I heard someone behind me, and everything went dark. And then I woke up here."

"Why did you not give him the money, as he asked?"
"Well, I was afraid. He said something about not being sure that he would let me go. So I was hoping someone else would come by, and that he would be scared off. But I was not prepared for the fact that he had an accomplice."
"Right. Now, can you tell us what was stolen?"
"Oh. Well, to be honest, I have no idea. I don't know where my possessions are, so I am not sure what is missing."
"Hmm, that is too bad. Though perhaps the nurse will know."

The sergeant walks off, and returns with the nurse. She opens the closet, and frowns when she sees that it is empty.
"Huh. Your personal things should be here ... Oh, wait, I remember. Your clothes are in the laundry, as they were quite dirty. And as far as I know you were brought in without any other things, sorry."

"Ah, thank you. Hmm, what did I have on me? In my pockets I had my pocket watch, the key to my room in the inn, a small wallet containing some loose change and several pens. I was wearing a money pouch on my waist, with about ... fifty pound I think. It also contained my membership badge and identification papers. I was carrying my briefcase, with some papers and notebooks. Nothing of real value, I think."

The constable dutifully notes everything down. The sergeant nods at the list of items, then turns back to Nillian.
"Well, it seems we have good news for you. The two men who robbed you have been caught, and most of your possessions have been recovered. It seems that the two, on finding your key to the inn, decided to see if they could also rob your room there. Luckily the innkeeper realised what was happening, and called the Watch so the two could be apprehended. We didn't find your money, I am sorry to say, but your watch, identification papers and briefcase have all been recovered."

"Oh, that is good to know, thank you. That is a load of my mind, as without my identification papers it would be very hard for me to get anything done. Ehm... Not to be ungrateful or anything, but what is going to happen now? Do I have to stay in Stokes for a few days or anything like that?"
"No, that won't be necessary. The two crooks, after they were apprehended, confessed to their crimes, so there will be no need for you to testify. Your possessions will be returned to you either this afternoon here, or tomorrow morning at the inn. I think that is all?"

He looks at the constable for confirmation, who nods.
"Thank you for your time, and I hope you get better soon."
"And thank you for stopping by, have a good day."

 

No comments: