Friday 20 August 2010

1.14 - Asking Questions

The next morning Nillian makes his way to the city centre, to the city hall. On the way he notices that most of the workers are already up and starting work. He hears fires cackling as they heat up, some random hammering and the sounds of steam engines beginning to steam up. But when he comes to the city centre it is still very quiet, it seems that the administrative part of the city does not start that early...

At the city hall the doors are just being opened, reinforcing this idea. Inside the city hall there is no big hall like in the other cities, only a long hallway with several offices. At the beginning of the hallway there is one counter for questions, and Nillian walks over. Behind it the clerk is lying with her head on her arms, seemingly asleep. Nillian hesitates, not wanting to disturb a sleeping person. But it seems that she is not asleep, as she suddenly speaks up.

"Yes? Do you need me, or are you just standing there for fun?"
"Oh, yes, well... I am looking for some information about a large purchase of coal, done about twenty years ago. I believe one Gerardina Nott was the buyer, though I am not entirely certain. Is it perhaps possible if I can look through some records of that period?"
"Can't help you."

"Oh, can I ask why not?"
"Too old, too restricted and far too much trouble."
"I was afraid of that. Are there perhaps some other records from that time I could look through?"
"No."

Nillian is taken aback by the sullenness of the clerk, and thinks for a moment. The clerk hasn't moved or even opened her eyes during the conversation, and Nillian is unsure how to continue. He looks around, hoping that there is someone else he can talk to, but there is no one in sight. Nillian sighs and tries again.

"Do you perhaps know which company or trader would have made this sale?"
"How should I know? I wasn't working here then, are you saying that I look that old?"
"No, no, of course not. I wondered if you knew what the largest supplier of coal was twenty years ago."
"No idea."

"Alright. Do you perhaps have a list of all coal suppliers from twenty years ago?"
"No, that is too much trouble."
Nillian sighs again and tries one last time.
"Do you know which coal supplier is today the biggest, and do you have a list of current coal suppliers?"

The clerk finally moves, but only to raise her arm and point at the other wall. Nillian walks over, and indeed sees an overview of all companies in the city, with their addresses. He quickly notes down the addresses of the listed coal suppliers. There are about ten addresses, but he does not recognize any of the names. It seems that without a map of the city he will not be able to find them.

He walks back to the clerk, and asks her if she perhaps has a map of the city.
"No, and stop bothering me!"
Nillian shakes his head and walks off, without thanking her. At least he has something to check out, even if it is not as easy as he had hoped.

Outside Nillian looks around, hoping to see some kind of Information Office like in Räan. He does not see anything remotely like that, but he does see a familiar face. Old Joe is sitting on his cart a bit a few meters along the street, in front of the back entrance of the general store, looking like he is waiting for something.

Nillian walks over to him, and greets him.
"Hello Joe. How are you today?"
"Hello sir, good, good. I am waiting for the boy to bring over supplies to deliver. Can I help you, sir?"
"Hmm, perhaps you can. I was looking for information about a big purchase of coal made twenty years ago. So I was looking for the biggest coal supplier twenty years ago. The clerk at the city hall couldn't be troubled to find it out, so I'm thinking about visiting the current coal suppliers, in the hopes they might know something. But I have no idea where they are located, as I am not familiar with the city."
"Oh, you can hitch a ride with me, no problem. I have to go that way anyway, to deliver some things."

At that moment the doors open, and a boy comes out with several boxes, which he loads onto the cart. Then he goes inside again, getting more. Old Joe excuses himself from Nillian, and helps the boy carry the other boxes outside and load them on the cart. After he is done the cart is about half full, and the bench had to be moved forward, so that it is almost on top of the driver's bench. Joe hops on, and with some difficulty Nillian squeezes in on the other bench.

On their way toward the main coal supplier Nillian makes some small talk.
"Say, are you a professional delivery service for the shops? Or are you just helping someone out?"
"No, no, this is just an odd job, just like giving tours of the city and such. I deliver some orders from the shops to customers, on a semi-regular basis."
"Ah, right. Say, aren't there any taxi-coaches in Stokes? I haven't seen any since the time I arrived here."
"Hmm, I don't think so. Who would use one? The miners have their own bus to bring them to the mines, and the administrators all have their own coaches. Why, were you looking for one?"
"Well, it would be easier. At the moment I have to walk everywhere I want to go, which is of course not feasible for every destination ... Ehm, would you be interested to become my driver for the few days? Just once in a while taking me to companies and such, not full time of course."

It is silent for a moment, as Old Joe is thinking it over. He hesitantly begins to speak.
"I have of course some jobs that I cannot just walk away from. But in the rest of the time ... sure, I can take you wherever you want."
"Good, thank you very much. That will make my research much easier. And I will of course give you something for your trouble."

They arrive at the office of one of the main coal suppliers in the city. Nillian gets of the cart, and thanks Old Joe for the ride. Old Joe halts Nillian for one second.

"Do you see the café over there? I have to go round for my deliveries, but I will be there in a few hours, to pick you up, if that is alright?"
"Right, that will be great. I hope I will be finished in a few hours, and otherwise I'll just see. See you later!"
"Laters", and Old Joe rides off into the street.

Nillian turns around and examines the office. It is a low stone building, with several windows that are covered by a shutter. On the front of the building he sees a large sign, saying that the "Coal and Ore Company" is residing inside. Nillian straightens his clothing and walks inside.

 

No comments: